On this page you can see statements and correspondence between me and particular brands I contacted.
Kinvara Natural Skincare:
1. Do you test finished products on animals? And if not do you have any certificate?
2. Does anyone test on your behalf?
3. Are suppliers of raw ingredients fully cruelty free and do they have any certificate about it?
4. Do you sell in countries where animal testing is required by law?
Dear Ms Nemetona
Thank you for your enquiry. We do not test any of our products on animals and where possible, products are suitable for vegetarians and vegans. Our website provides information on each product including whether it is suitable for vegetarians and vegans. As we are limited for space on our packaging and have to limit the information displayed, we do not display the leaping bunny logo but we do display the vegan symbol where applicable. Unfortunately we do not ship to mainland China.
Customer Care Advisor
Thank you Ms. Killon,
I have few more questions.Do you check suppliers of raw materials? Are they cruelty free also?
And if you do not test at any stage of making products, does any third party test for you?
Thank you very much.
Dear Ms Nemetona
We do not use any suppliers who test their products on animals and we do not have any third party testing our products so we can confirm that at no stage have any of our products been tested on animals. I hope this answers your query.
Customer Care Advisor
Their reply came very next day. Things seem to be ok, but I’m not happy with their statement of not having enough room on the label. I see their products around and there is definetly enough room. I can’t take this as a proper answer and they stay in the waiting are on my list for now.
Many thanks for your enquiry and interest in the Saaf Pure Organic Skincare range. We do not sell our products in China and the brand is fully certified by Cruelty Free International. We are also accredited as organic by the UK’s Soil Association and all our products are certified Vegetarian by the Vegetarian Society. Our oils & serums are also accredited by the Vegan Society – our balms are not because they contain Organic Beeswax.
I do hope you find this information helpful but if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to let me know.
Very best wishes, Jo at Saaf Skincare
I read a lot about Saaf and I think I can trust them. They’ve been very quick with reply and they are certified as you can read.
Thanks so much for getting in touch, I’m glad you asked! The line is 100% vegan and cruelty-free, certified by both PETA and the Leaping Bunny program. You can also find more info about us here: www.concreteminerals.com/pages/about
We do not currently have any retailers in Mainland China due to the country’s animal testing requirements, however we do have a great retailer in Hong Kong!
Hope that helps! Just let us know if you have any other questions
All the best,
I fully trust this brand . Hong Kong doesn’t have animal testing in law, so stay calm!
Holos cosmetics :
Hello, I’d like to ask if your products or any parts of them are tested on animals or not. And what sort of glycerine do you use in your products, is it vegetable glycerine or animal glycerine? It is very important for me to know.
Thank you for any answer.
We do not test on animals and neither do our suppliers. We use no animal products/bi products at all. Glycerine is vegetable derived.
Hope that helps.
( It’s about year later and I am asking aditional informations.)
I would be grateful if you can answer my questios :
Do you sell your products to mainland China?
And can you please assure me that Holos is still cruelty free company?
Are all your product vegan?
Are you thinking of getting Leaping Bunny certified?
Thank you very much.
Thanks for your mail
You can buy products online and we will ship to China. We are still (and always will be) cruelty free. All products are vegan. We will look at getting the leaping bunny symbol later when we are more global. It is popular in USA but not in Europe but it is in our plans.
Hope this helps
Just remind you,online selling in to China does not require animal testing.
Buldog (skin care for men)
Bulldog was recently bought by Edgewell Personal Care which is NOT cruelty free company !!! There is a question if Bulldog will stay cruelty free or not.
Thanks for taking the time to get in touch with us.
It’s great to hear you’re a fan of our moisturiser.
I’m happy to confirm that all Bulldog products are suitable for vegans.
Additionally they’re gluten free, paraben free and certified by Cruelty Free International.
We do not sell our products in China.
I hope this helps.
Buldog was leaping bunny certified till 2017. What will come next, no one knows!!!
Dear Mrs. Nemetona,
all of our brushes are made out of synthetic hair
your essence Team
I asked only about brushes, because I was not sure if they are all vegan.
Pretty Zombie Cosmetics
could you be so kind and answer few questions for me,please?
1. Are ALL of your products Vegan?
2.Are finished products tested on animals?
3. Are ingredients tested on animals?
4. Do you check your suppliers if they are fully cruelty free?
5. Do you sell in countries where animal testing is required by law (China etc.)?
Thanks a lot.
Zao Essence of Nature
Thank you for your enquiry. Zao uses only natural ingredients and so they do not require testing on animals anyway, as they have a long safety record. If you want to avoid animal cruelty, I suggest sourcing pnly certified organic products which have no synthetic chemicals in to be tested. The Leaping Bunny certification ensures that we meet all the criteria to make it easy for consumers who do not need to ask specifics as it is all covered by the Leaping Bunny certification.
However, to address each of your questions:
1.Do you check your suppliers of raw ingredients if they are 100% cruelty free? Yes, this is regulated by Leaping Bunny
- Can you confirm that your finished products are not tested on any animals, not even on Daphnia-water flea? No, we do not test on any living being besides humans and indeed this is the ethos of Zao, that we don’t harm any sentient beings in the process of producing makeup. However natural products have a predictable outcome due to safety data., so it is not needed anyway.
3.Do you sell in countries where animal testing is required by law (China etc.)? No, otherwise we would not have been awarded the Leaping Bunny certification. Zao plans to open a facility in China to enable sales there, as domestically produced products do not need to be tested on animals.
4.Does anyone (third party)test on your behalf? Yes, this is regulated by Leaping Bunny.
I hope that helps but please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
Lyndsey @ Zao Essence of Nature UK
Thank you for your reply. I think we have crossed wires on the 4th question as I assumed you were asking if anyone audits our cruelty free status. The answer is yes, it is part of the Leaping Bunny regulation to have an independent audit.
All products are tested in-house for reactions as they only contain innocuous natural ingredients with a detailed safety record and there’s no synthetic and possibly dangerous ingredienst with unknown side-effects. It’s just not necessary to test on animals when you only use natural ingredients and indeed, it is part of Zao’s ethos as synthetic ingredients harm the ecosystem and the humans wearing it.
Lyndsey @ Zao Essence of Nature UK
By my opinion Zao is cruelty free brand. Answer came next day. I have good feelings about it and I like the idea that Zao uses bamboo containers which can be refilled again and again. Cutting back plastic pollution.
Castle Baths is a certified member of Leaping Bunny. What this means is that we do not test on animals, nor do our venders, nor do we sell to any country that required product tested on animals. I started Castle Baths in 2005, and committed to the strict certification process in 2009 with the Leaping Bunny Program. I did my renewal in 2014, and I will be up for renewal again in 2019. I will submit my company for renewal and verify all venders for as long as I make and sell products. I personally only believe in the Leaping Bunny Program because they go beyond normal to make cruelty free more than just a statement.
- Are finished products tested on animals by you? No
- Are finished products tested on animals on your behalf ( third party)? No
- Are ingredients tested on animals by you? No
- Are ingredients tested on animals by third party? No
- Does any form of animal testing occur somewhere during production? No
- Are your suppliers of raw ingredients cruelty free? Yes and verified
- Do you test on animals when required by law? No law here in the USA for handmade personal care, I guess if the law said it had to be done- I would protest, stop making the product and speak up against such terrible laws.
- Do you sell in mainland China? By law China requires Cosmetics such as Spa and Bath products to be animal tested before going on a shelf when being imported- we do not sell any of our spa and bath products to China. NONE! With this said, I wish to share with you what I am doing about the situation in China and the laws (China law has gotten better since 2014- but still the country has a long way to go) I do have a Pet product that is in the process of possibly going into China. The pet product is considered a clean product and not a cosmetic. It will go into their clean product catalog for import- which means NO TESTING required, because it is a product NOT listed for humans. Our goal is to help improve laws in China and protect animals by helping to make the public aware of what they do not know goes on in the background of products imported. Alex, the fellow I’m talking with wishes to advertise cruelty free with my pet product to help make others more aware of the laws. My goal is to help China stop testing completely!
- Do you have any certifications? (Please state which one.)
1 Certified Green: Green America Gold Business,
2 Compact for Safe Cosmetics pledge to make safer products and have earned the title “Champion” from the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics- only 300 companies worldwide earned the Champion title.
3 Certified Leaping Bunny Cruelty Free
- Are all your products fully vegan? If not, can I get a list of vegan friendly products?
I have 2 soaps and a shampoo which has some honey in it and 2 bars of soap with Goats milks. I don’t consider these products vegan and they are marked as not vegan on the product page under additional information tab. All others are vegan on the site.
I got this fantastic reply and it came very quickly also. And I am happy to put Castle Baths on my list of cruelty free brands.